Thursday, June 12, 2014

Through-Lines

Over the course of building my model B-24 did some thinking about what biblical through-lines would be most applicable to what I was doing. I personally think that the most fitting would be beauty creating. The whole point of my passion project was really to create something that was visually appealing or beautiful so to speak. Over the time I spent building the model I tried my best to incorporate as much detail as possible into my project in a very artistic way to get the most beautiful result possible. I personally found that being able to recreate such a large and powerful aircraft, the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, was a very unique experience, and being able to replicate one in scale was very satisfying. I feel that my finished product was in a way beautiful, as it accurately represented such a magnificent piece of engineering from the second world war. As Christians we are asked to be innovative and use the gifts that God has given us, and I think that my project really allowed me to embrace this by using my artistic abilities to create something that I personally found beautiful. Seeing as God is our creator and the ultimate architect of beauty when we create we in a way reflect  him and honor his skill of creation. Another though-line that is pertinent but in a smaller way is idolatry discerning. While it is constructive and beneficial to have an interest in models and modeling, it should also be said that we should be careful that we do not let it become elevated beyond it's appropriate place so that it does not become like an idol. I believe there can easily be a point where excess dedication and time spent on anything can take away from time with God and ultimately become like an Idol. While I fin it unlikely that my models or model making will become like an Idol to me, it is still helpful to keep in mind. Lastly over the course of this project I began to question the appropriateness of what I was doing, I asked myself the question "Is it okay to be so interested in something that was designed for destruction?" The Consolidated B-24 Liberator was designed from the ground up to be a devastating bomber that could cause immense death and destruction to the enemy. Ultimately I have not yet come up with an answer to my question, but I have come to the conclusion that it depends on how I view the plane I crated. I am interested in the B-24 because of it's remarkable engineering for it's time and the role it played in ending one of the most deadly conflicts in human history, not because it was a tool of destruction used to take lives and destroy livelihoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment