Friday, March 7, 2014


The Plan:

            After some contemplation I have decided that I will be building an intricate model plane, more specifically Revel's 167 piece 1:48 scale model of the Consolidated B-24 Liberator. The B-24 was a heavy bomber widely used by the United States air force and to a lesser extent other allied forces during world war two. The B-24 was introduced in 1941 and was an intended upgrade over the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, as it boasted a superior range,  top speed and bomb load, despite it's lower service ceiling and far less robust design (the B-17 was know for being able to stay in the sky despite sustaining heavy damage). I have been interested in building a model of this historic aircraft for over a year now and am happy to be able to seize this opportunity to finally attempt to construct a World War Two bomber. I have only ever built one model plane, a 1:48 scale Revel p38 lightning, one of the most unique fighter planes of the second World war and my favorite. While this model turned out satisfactory, I wish to enhance my model making skills and techniques with this larger, more challenging build.  
            The ultimate goal for this project is to produce the most realistic model possible while maintain historical accuracy and attention to detail. In order to accomplish this it is important that I become proficient in several aspects of model making techniques. These include the actually gluing together of pieces, sanding, filling, decaling, and by far the most important part, painting. thought this semester I hope to be able to learn how to properly apply these techniques to my B-24 liberator build in order to produce the best product possible. 
            Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has experience and expertise in model making and so I will be relying largely on the internet and instructional videos if I am unable to find a proper mentor. Despite this I was able to recruit the help of Mr. Tim Toews, an expert in anything artistic to help me in the painting process of my model. With his help I hope to experiment with airbrushing, a technique that can be used on both the interior and exterior surfaces of the model. I hope that this method will create a more even and accurate looking finish that conventional brush painting.
            In order to succeed in this project it is important that I am willing to really put my time into the model (you'd be surprised how long these things can take). I will have to be patient and realize that even small mistakes, especially on clear pieces, can have a dramatically negative affect on the final appearance of the model. It is my opinion that if I am willing to put in the necessary time and attention to detail to my model I will be able to create at very least an adequate model of a Consolidated B-24 Liberator.

No comments:

Post a Comment